Alice and I are having the deep winter doldrums. Three weeks without a job to go to every day has thrown the cards of daily life in the air and we are together, a lot. The following is the list I found myself writing the other night. I do love my lists…
- Check Pockets – stop running the Badger Lip Balm tubes through the washer and dryer
- Only move firewood when wearing gloves; splinters are unsightly and they hurt!
- The living room furniture is not a closet. Various coats, hats, scarves and such need to be hung up.
- Be thankful every time you push a button, open the fridge or turn a knob. Those appliances make life earlier. How would you ever replace a washer/dryer/dishwasher etc. right now??
- Alice is muttering: “Give up cat box diving as an afternoon activity. That shit sticks to your teeth no matter how much water you drink!”
- Discharge static electricity before touching the cat!
- Hand lotion and moisturizer are your friends. Apply liberally. Repeatedly.
- Keep a glass of water handy on the mantle, some of the wood you are burning is lovely and dry. Dousing flames before they become too enthusiastic is always good for preventing a chimney fire.
- Make a point of walking outside every day. Not just dashing to and from the car, but putting one foot in front of the other and breathing deeply.
- Take 10 minutes to boil water for a hot water bottle. Warming the sheets first makes slipping into bed a joy at the end of a cold day.
Be kind, to others, but most importantly to yourself…