Svelte Alice circa January 2011

DSC_1946

Pillsbury Dough Dog

Alice is getting pudgy. There is no doubt in my mind that the wrinkly little croissant has become the Pillsbury Dough Dog. So once again, I took a look at her food. Share Peis are not for someone looking for a “low maintenance” dog. When I got her she had skin issues, eye issues, stomach issues, ear infections, her issues had issues. We have determined that diet is key to happiness and she exists in a world with no chicken, no fish, no added starches or gluten, wheat is right out and corn is not even in the equation. So finding food that fits with all these allergies, on a budget, isn’t easy.

I stopped at the store to consult my loyal dietitian, Hanni. She has worked at so many vets and feed stores she is a virtual font of knowledge. We were pouring over the labels, balancing 35lb bags of dry food on our knees in the middle of the aisle, and chatting when we discovered Kangaroo dog food. Lots of Kangaroo. It seemed every manufactured had jumped on the craze. “Yea, I think it was on the menu the other night when B and I went out for my Birthday dinner, ” Hanni remarked.

So I did a little research, not a lot because I’m easily bored and distracted by Googling stuff. There also wasn’t much in the way of recent Kangaroo meat stories. Why was this marsupial suddenly showing up as a delicacy? In June of 2013, the BBC wrote an article called Eating Skippy regarding Australian’s inhibitions about chowing down on  their national emblem. It would seem Kangaroos are protected and have become somewhat of a pest. They compared it to Americans eating the Disney Bambi. Hmm lots of venison consumed here in my neck of the woods. So 70% of the legally taken meat  is being exported and sold as a sustainable food, low in saturated fats, full of iron, and environmentally more friendly than beef, lamb or pork. Or as pet food. Apparently, Kangaroos emit less green house gasses and are a kinder footprint on thin topsoil. Who knew?

Kangaroo tail soup is touted as a delicious dish similar to Oxtail soup. Not one of my favorites but perhaps with the right spices? So now it has taken over as a lower fat alternative in beef or lamb in commercial dog food. I carefully mixed it with the remaining dry kibble in Alice’s bowl and I must say, she does have a certain spring to her step.

pooh,kanga&roo

15 comments on “Kanga and roo too, Pooh!

Interesting. I wouldn’t have ever thought about kangaroo, but I can’t see why not. I think as Americans, we get caught up in only thinking of meat in terms of beef, chicken or pork. There are so many other meats available to us if we stop equating them with Bambi and Thumper.

1. I probably have to draw the line on cat, dog or horse…

I agree, no pets but there are still lots of other animals. I’ve had ostrich, venison, rabbit, alligator and many other foods that are considered exotic. All of which can be (or are) farm raised right here in the USA.

‘…a certain spring in her step’ — made me smile.

Like us humans, Alice is apparently not exempt either from the fattening ravages of time – or long, cold winters!

1. I must admit, I too have put on a pound or two. Maybe kangaroo will be on my menu soon!

3. It’s easy for us to love our pets too much and over feed them. I’ve done the same.

1. I’m blaming it on the stolen cat food and toast, and whatever else she can counter-surf or dumpster-dive for.

4. livinloud24 says:

It’s great that you found something lean, plentiful, and better for the environment! I have noticed more exotic choices in the pet aisle. Who knew there’d be kangaroo, too?!

1. Thanks livinloud24. It is odd that we start seeing these exotics in the pet food aisle before we see them in the grocery store. What’s next? Unicorn burgers??!!

Kangaroos are served in many eateries here in Australia but it is quite “gamie” and tough and lean meat, if it is not cooked right it can be like an old boot, not that I’ve eaten too many of those. It’s better in a stew rather than as a steak. The government carries out culls regularly because their numbers are huge and they destroy farm fencing and eat crops etc, but they are beautiful creatures and great to watch. So Alice is welcome to chow down on our national emblem – she has my blessing, and if she complains about it being tough, cut it into small pieces and stew it up with gravy etc! Cheers from your Aussie friend!

1. I was really hoping you would chime in on this subject, Mark. Alice doesn’t seem to notice the difference in the kanga-food though I am hoping a little less fat will mean the return of her glorious wrinkles!

Loved the croissant reference too!

I e never tried kangaroo meat but I know it’s a healthy alternative. Hopefully it will help Alice become a little less tubby pooh bear and a little more bouncy tigger 🙂

1. A perfect comment, Marie. Not sure she will ever be a tigger but at least if she dropped a few pounds and gained back a wrinkle or two that would be good! Thank you.