There is a place where we can all go that allows for the silencing of the noise of ordinary life. A place where we each find a solitary pursuit of a moment; a goal, a dream fulfilled. I love the mornings because I wander and drink in every bit of new color, every drop of dew that heralds a new flower.

Writing is a solitary pursuit. How many times a day, when you are cooking, cleaning, dealing with the minutia,  those around you in all good faith say, “What can I do to help you?” and usually it is something as simple as  “OK thanks, chop this, hold this, move that,” or whatever. Some pursuits, no one can help you with. When I sit down to write, no one else can lend a hand. There is nothing any other being  can possibly add to my experience. It has to be all me.

I drifted on Dublin Lake today. A sail-boarder was teaching himself to read the wind and feel the water. No one could teach him. DSC_7312

Last night, Julia got up at midnight, put on her boots and went down to the barn to ride her horse in the light of the Super Moon. A perfect solitary pursuit, though a partner was necessary.

Small, memories each made of solitary moments.

As I drove back from my kayak trip, I passed a man in a field. He was painting, his easel pointed toward the mountains in a July field of stubble. I turned around, introduced myself and apologized for interrupting his solitude. clumsily, I handed him my card,  and asked if I might photograph him for this post. He introduced himself, David Dodge, and joked, “I might break the camera!” and I shot his view of the mountains. “How long have you been here today?” I asked. “Since Noon, I finished on small work already, this is my second. The light keeps changing.” he replied.

DSC_7315 DSC_7318

“What’s your blog about? he asked, squinting at my business card. “Reinventing oneself.” I replied. “We all should do that on a regular basis.” was his response.

Solitary pursuits. Music, art, or just relaxation we take the time in hope of rejuvenation, seeking the seeming most productive solitary pursuits.

176 comments on “Solitary Pursuits

Time to and for one’s self is always important. But, I think it is also important to remember to get inspiration from things and people around us. After all, no man is an island.

Liked by 1 person

1. So true, Laura. You, for example are an inspiration with your solitary pursuits of photographic excellence.

2. I grew up alone and have enjoyed being alone as much as I can be ever since. It gives me time to think.

1. It is huge life lesson to learn to enjoy one’s own company. Well done.

1. Erik Conover says:

I find the most clarity when I am alone. Many people can not sit still and simply be. Many people feel the need to say something. I am an actor and a writer. I say let that silence marinate, shut off the noise, then being to listen. You will be very surprised what you hear. Great post. Great blog. You have a new follower.

Erik

2. Thank you Erik. I am humbled you took the time. The purring of a cat, the buzzing of a bee are all the sounds we need sometimes.

3. mariekeates says:

Like Alan, I grew up alone. My sister got married when I was three so, for all purposes, I was an only child. Maybe that’s why I like my own company and so many of my joys are solitary ones.

Liked by 1 person

1. ‘Tis a gift, Marie to be comfortable with oneself. I find people who can do this are easier to be with.

Liked by 1 person

4. “Reinventing oneself” this is magical…a pursuit, i must undertake, and that too, solo, just with myself – soaking in in the solitude….
    this came in at a very opportune time for me….just what i needed….
    and mornings, i love absorbing every milisecond of them…can never have enough…
    a simple and a serene post….congratulations and thank you so much once again.

Liked by 1 person

1. I humbly thank you for taking the time to find me and my thoughts. I will read yours. Life is a beautiful spider web.

1. Thank you, will return the favor of reading and supporting you.

5. chelseathecat.com

1. Thank you, I am humbled and feeling blessed.

6. Denise [But First, Live!] says:

Beautiful 🙂

1. Thank you Denise. I am humbled to have been chosen. Will look into your blog. Write on!!

7. lmacroux says:

Being in my twenties, I find that most of my peers strive to find happiness in others. Through various life experiences, I have focused my attention on the opposite. This is beautifully written, and captures the importance of being with yourself to capture a greater understanding of the world around us.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! I am humbled and feeling so blessed to have been heard. My memoir is all about life in my twenties and I find the thoughts I had are pretty universal. I will check out your blog. Thank you again for commenting and reading!!

8. zeyzey63 says:

Great post! Please check out my blog http://queenzey.wordpress.com/

1. Thank you! I am humbled. I will check out your blog!!

1. zeyzey63 says:

Thank you! And you’re welcome.

9. Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed.

1. Thank you so much! I am humbled and feeling blessed!

10. jessieneutrongirlgenius says:

Reblogged this on JessieNeutronGirlGenius and commented:
    Finding yourself, whether it is something happens repeatedly, should still be practiced. It is eye opening, in my opinion and can bring great happiness.

11. So true Martha.. It takes courage to pursue something alone..yet when you succeed or even just to start the reward can be greater than a shared pursuit- I guess It;s because the onus is one you alone to succeed so there is nowhere to hide..once you start though you realise that failure ain’t so bad..it doesn’t hurt if you take it on board! It can also inspire people to challenge themselves and follow their own solitary dreams!

1. Words of wisdom! Thanks for commenting. I am feeling very humble and blessed to have been chosen to be Freshly Pressed!

12. Beautiful, I love it. Good life lesson!!

1. Thank you! So happy you found my blog and so blessed to be Freshly Pressed!

13. I am very much an introvert, so crave time to myself. I never seem to get enough of it. But I carve out little spaces and it makes my time with friends and family that much better because I had some time alone, too.

1. It is an art and science to being comfortable alone. Those of us who master it are very special. Thank You!

14. Reblogged this on taherehbarati and commented:
    I found this article resonating with my sources of rejuvenation and productivity; nature, music, water, painting, photography,…. What does rejuvenate you? What are your sources of rejuvenation? Enjoy!

15. Great! Thank you for sharing! I believe everyone needs that special time to themselves.

1. Thank you. I’m glad I touched a chord.

16. Cyd says:

Reblogged this on cydmbcl and commented:
    Absolutely beautiful!

17. What an idyllic place for reinventing oneself. When I’m done with my profession I will have to retreat in an eden like that

1. The scariest part is leaving the profession behind. The best reward is knowing when you do it that you will be fine…
      Thank you!

18. Jasmine says:

Nice post. I love to have one of those solitary days 🙂

1. Thank you Jasmine. We need to make them happen as often as possible, while still maintaining the status quo.
      Thank you for your comment. I am humbled by the response.

19. Therese Lu says:

Beautiful piece. I cherish my alone time too. Thanks for sharing!

1. Thanks for commenting. I am humbled by your support.

20. I can find my God if i am in silence and if i am alone.

1. Thank you. I find my God in silence too,

21. elizabethweaver says:

Beautifully put…beautifully photographed. Thank you.

1. Thank you Elizabeth. I am humbly grateful for the award and your support.

22. zee says:

Really good n so true!

1. Thanks Zee, I am humbled by the award and your support.

23. I agree with David. There is nothing more beautiful than waking up and reinventing yourself everyday. I find the solace and challenge of travel and being on the road helps with this immensely. You learn what works for you and if it doesn’t work, you change it!

1. Thank you Thomas. Humbled by the award and the kind comments.

24. The most of my life has been quiet and to myself, and from still waters a gentle “hello” from Spirit.
    Thank you for this moment of reflection.
    Blessings…

1. Humbled and honored. Thanks Christopher for commenting and reading.

25. Yes there is a place we can go which allows us to silence all the noise , stress fast paced life some may lead. I enjoyed reading your post . Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful moment!

1. Thank you. I am humbled by all the comments and support. So glad to connect with like minds.

1. Life is full of obstacles, noisey intersections trying to distract us from our daily journey of living. May you continue to find a silent place to gather you thoughts living out your passions.

Have a great day

1. Thank you. Humbled by the kind words and support.

26. Indeed a reflecting thought…….. Well put in words.

1. Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting. I feel so humbled by all the kind words.

1. Thank you for dropping by and commenting. I am humbled by the kind words and encouragement.

27. baselondon says:

Reblogged this on Base London and commented:

28. Martha, this is so beautiful! You truly captured the essence of solitary pursuits. I love the shot of you in the kayak! And Woohoo!!!- Freshly Pressed. 🙂 Congratulations. Well deserved and I am so happy for you. ~Terri

1. Thank you Terri. It is like an avalanche of well wishes and good feelings.

29. Jessica&Love says:

Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed! This is a very interesting and beautiful read, you deserve it! Jess

1. Thank you Jess for taking the time to comment. I am humbled by your kindness.

30. Martha, we just share your great news on our Facebook page. 🙂 ~Terri

1. Excellent! Thanks so much for all your support! Loe you guys!!

31. wavygirl27 says:

Thanks for the inspiring post. I’m fully comfortable in my own head and feel a little sorry for people who are so dependent upon others to either entertain or engage them in some way.

1. Thank you for taking the time to comment. You have a rare gift, or perhaps it is a rare and wonderful point of view.

32. ecofaery27 says:

I myself have taken the time to create this blog in order to write about the change I see around me or what is happening within. Beautifully written.

1. Thank you for taking the time to comment and read. I appreciate your support and will certainly take a look at your blog.

33. Being by oneself is amazing. I find it is a time when all the input I have had from other people falls into place. There you can bring it all together and digest it. Only then can you use all of that input.
    It’s like baking a cake. You can have hundreds of different ingredients, but nothing will happen until you put the mixture in the oven and leave it to rise.

1. So beautifully put! Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am humbled by the support.

2. susanutz says:

Your page will not allow me ro follow you ?

1. Hi! I’ve checked it out and I can’t seem to find the problem. What happens when you click ‘follow’ at the top of the page whilst signed into WordPress? Hopefully I can fix it! 🙂

2. susanutz says:

I do not see the “follow” on your page. I’m on my iPhone I’ll try on my laptop:-)

3. It should be in the black area on the top left of the page. I think it may only work on a laptop as you say 🙂 hope it works this time!

34. arpaanb says:

This definitely is so true and well written. It is really important for every individual to spend good quality time alone, and may be one should do this regularly. Its not about self introspection but its more about becoming independent and realising the fact that no one else excepting yourself can reiterate your own experiences. Everyone may know how to drive a car but not all can probably write about driving along side beautiful mountain ranges.

1. Ah, so true! And beautifully written. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated. I will look at your blog as well.

35. You have a natural gift of making people feel welcome, Martha.

1. Aww, thanks. Inside my head is a strange place but all are welcome there. Thank you for your comment and support.

36. jaznajalil says:

The world around is so noisy these days, we can hardly hear our own thoughts let alone hearing sounds of nature. Finding a quiet moment nowadays takes some serious commitment… With chores, work, an infant, and the general chaos of daily life rife all around, your post reminded me to take a break…. time away from even those I love and cherish….So that I don’t get lost in the chaos…Thank you….

Easy, simple read, yet profound and thought provoking….

1. So beautifully said! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to comment. I am humbled by the support. There are times in life, particularly early parenthood, when it is difficult to carve out time for oneself. Sounds like you will be fine!

1. jaznajalil says:

Thank you and congrats on being freshly pressed!

37. I love this. Although I don’t have one specific place, I find it everywhere. Travelling is my passion, so I feel that no matter where you are, you can find a place of solitary pursuit and creativity within the calamity of the world.

1. Agreed and Thank You! I too have traveled a bit and learned the ability to find the calm from the Borobudur Temple in Central Java to a kayak on the lake in New Hampshire. It is within us all.

38. Pekebun says:

I’m an only child, have always enjoyed my own company & can totally relate to your superb article. Now have a book ‘Quiet’ by Susan Cain to finish this evening. Thanks for sharing.

1. Thank you for taking time out to read and comment. ‘Quiet’ is on my reading list! Would love to hear what you think…

39. agenglert says:

Reblogged this on lexigab and commented:
    Interesting I have not gotten to read through this all yet but am sure I will enjoy it!

40. moneysha says:

Great post! Amazingly written. True, every word of it 🙂

1. Thank you! I am fascinated and humbled by the outpouring of the blog community. Your support is truly appreciated.

41. Francisco López Ossés says:

Excellent blog!

1. Thank you! I am humbled by the response and appreciate you taking the time to comment!

42. I thought this was really beautiful, and a lesson for everyone in the importance of noticing the beauty in the every day experiences and people we encounter. keep the great posts coming!

1. Thank you! I am touched.

43. Ted Luoma says:

I like cooking. A lot. There’s times when it is a team effort, but I relish the days when the house is empty and I’m able to create in the kitchen.

1. Ah, there is a solitary pursuit that feeds the soul AND the body!

44. What a great, simple affirmation. Thank-you!
    I spent much of the last two years very much alone and… well out of it came my first novel! It’s really nice to hear someone else say that spending solitary time is worth it.

1. Thank you! I look forward to reading your work. Your comment is greatly appreciated.

45. Gretiana says:

I’m the introverted type so I really do enjoy my own company. The greatest moments of inspiration for me are when I am alone in the woods, park or just alone at home. No doubt do write poetry and other literary genres.

1. It is a gift to have time alone in this busy world. Time to turn away from electronics and just be. Thanks for commenting!