Joy

We interrupt this regularly scheduled blog post for outbursts of extreme joy and jubilation. Time stops and starts again right here, the clock is ticking…

I opened an email from Hanni and read her flight itinerary for arrival next Tuesday at roughly 9am. This is my child  I have not seen, face to face, have not touched, hugged/held in almost two years. I don’t know what it is like to have a child in the armed forces, to not see them and know they are always in harm’s way for months. I know I view the world as a war zone when it comes to my children, particularly when they are a continent away.

We talk, there are pictures shared and social media updates. I want to hold her, I want to gaze into her face. In a world of staying in touch, I am always left feeling wanting.

Here’s to joy and being forever a mother!

_DSC0297 _DSC0303 DSC_4377These photos are from June of 2013. New memories (Momeries??) about to be made!!

16 comments on “Joy

YAHOO!!!! Kiss my God-daughter, send LOTS of photos!

1. So Excited, Steph. she is exploring possibilities of coming back permanently!!

2. Enjoy your time together. A perfect Mother’s Day gift.

1. Thanks Joyce. I couldn’t ask for anything more!!

3. fwsarge says:

There’s nothing like having your child home after a long absence. Enjoy and savor it!

1. Thanks Fred. I haven’t been this excited in a long time. I will savor every second, and no doubt photograph and blog about it!! 🙂

Yea!!!! I know it will be a wonderful visit!

1. Thanks Laura. I am doing everything in my power to convince her to make the move permanent!

2. Thanks Laura, I will do everything in my poser to convince her to make the move permanent!

5. susanne Skinner says:

I have a son in the military. A piece of my heart is always deployed.

1. Susanne, my situation is not even close to yours. Thank you to your son for his service and to you for yours. You are in my thoughts. Being a Mother is the most rewarding and heartbreaking position.

6. My son is in the Air Force and if I’m very lucky I get to see him twice a year, so I know how you feel.

1. She is this person that I just want to sit and marvel at for the first 24 hours. I’m glad I’m not alone in how I feel. Thank you.

Good for both of you, enjoy your time together! You deserve it.

1. Thank you Mark. I am counting down and so looking forward to having this time with her.

How exciting. It’s hard to be separated from your children but we have to let them fly I guess. Although my boys all live nearby, life often means I don’t see the eldest two as much as I’d like. The youngest one, CJ, I see rather more of than is healthy at times. At the weekend they plotted with Commando to surprise me with a birthday meal. It was wonderful to have all my men in one room and spend time with them and the best present I could have ever wanted.